Honest opinions about how to buy Appliances and Lighting.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Ventilation Part 7

Lets look at two similar ventilation installations. One works, one doesn't.





The Wolf with the Best is the correct answer. The Viking installation does not have enough capture area.

How to vent properly:

1. A hood with capture depth of at least 24 inches.

2. A high CFM blower. I recommend at least 1200 for a 48 inch range or more.

3. Duct of 8-10 inch in diameter.

4. A short duct run....minimize the turns.

Ventilation is not expensive to accomplish properly. Beware, repairing issues after the fact truly becomes a big, expensive nightmare.

4 comments:

  1. Steve, I read this artcile in the LA biz journal this morning. I think you should check it out. It completely validates all the time you and your company put into your blog. http://losangeles.bizjournals.com/losangeles/business_resources/sales_and_marketing/stories/2008/09/24/smallb2/?ana=e_sol

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Yale blog quite regularly looking for exactly this type of info. Josh on your sales staff probably has been very patient waiting for me to commit and buy; I've been seriously considering the Wolf gas 36" range (6 burners no grill or griddle) for several months now - since late winter. I figure when I'm ready to buy Josh and the Wolf will still be there. Can you confirm the CFM needed for this range? I currently only have a 450 cmf hood with very small capture area and know that I would need to upgrade. Would 750cfm work for the all gas Wolf? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vince,

    Josh is an Angels fan, so show him no mercy. Your range hood should be a minimum of 600 CFM with 24 inch depth. You should consider more if you stir fry or wok cook.

    Hope this helps

    Steve

    ReplyDelete