Honest opinions about how to buy Appliances and Lighting.

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Whats to a Sink?

I love sinks. There dont leak and require little service. A few posts ago, I posted about my mothers rusty sink, and thought today would be a good chance to review.

Couple of Points:

Undermounts: The sink is mounted under the solid surface. I like this adaptation. It looks better and its seamless design is easier to clean.

Apron Front: Basically a sink finished in the front.

Gauge: My mothers sink is rusty, beacuse it is an inferior gauge. Gauge refers to the amount of nickel within the sink itself. 18 gauge is considered good, with lower numbers being better. This is the Franke Orca, which is a 18 gauge.

My Favorites:

The Majestic M30 is the largest sink that fits within the standard 30 inch cabinet.

Majestic A: Nice look for under $1000

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:57 PM

    Gauge actually refers to the thickness of the steel (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_metal_gauge#Gauge) where lower is thicker, The quality of the steel is usually given by "Type", such as Type 301 or 304 (sometimes known as 18/8) (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades#Stainless_steel)

    Of course, a thicker sink will also tend to be made from a better grade of alloy, but the two are seperate variables