Honest opinions about how to buy Appliances and Lighting.

Monday, May 18, 2009

What happened To Amana?

Really, what happened to this company? 20 years ago, Amana dominated the premium refrigeration market and were actually the first to manufacturer counter depth products.

Of course, they were owned by Raytheon, who naturally is significantly invested in defense. So there were effectively bisected and sold. Goodman Holding bought their air conditioning products, and a rapidly deteriorating Maytag company acquired the appliance division.

Maytag was then acquired by Whirlpool, and Amana has been largely ignored until now. There seems to be a pervasive logic during a recession: Sell it for whatever you can.

With rebates, Amana once again becomes interesting (at least for now.)



3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:17 AM

    Hi Steve,
    I recently discovered your blog - I love it! I am planning a kitchen renovation that will include purchasing all new appliances (fridge, range, micro, dishwasher). I have a narrow galley kitchen and have my heart set on a bottom freezer refrig. It looks like the options for a shallow depth (under 32 inches) combined with shallow width (around 30 inches) are limited. I've heard mixed reviews on the Fisher Paykal (sp?). I think GE and Maytag may make appliances that fall in this range, but I can't find them anywhere. Any thoughts on reasonably priced (under $1700) shallow depth frige that is also not too wide? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you....First for your kitchen, look at Frigidaire, Bosch, GE and Amana

    Refrigeration is a little tougher. Most models are 36" wide. The exceptions are SubZero at 30, Fisher Paykel(I do like the product) and 24" Blomberg from Europe

    Good luck and let me know if you may need some help

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe there's a 27 inch Blomberg as well...

    ReplyDelete