Honest opinions about how to buy Appliances and Lighting.

Monday, June 09, 2008

Another Great Deal?

I have started watching this website called GardenWeb. Yes, it is about gardening, but they also have a significant home improvement section with peer to peer reviews including a significant feature on appliances and lighting.

One of the posts was dedicated to the best appliance values. The person posting was talking about her parents refrigerator and how it lasted for 58 years. My feelings about this are mixed. First, I hate to throw anything of value away.

However, a refrigerator purchased today uses 50% less electricity than similar products from less than 15 years ago. A 58 year old refrigerator probably costs about $400-500 a year to operate versus $50-60 for a similar unit purchased today. Antiquated technologies in general like incandescent bulbs and top load laundry are probably costing the individual consumer hundreds of dollars a year every year.

But lets look at something new....What do these refrigerators have in common?



Yes they are Energystar, but there are instant rebates of $75 to 100 on all GE, Maytag, JennAir, Whirlpool and KitchenAid french door and side by side refrigeration.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:23 PM

    Hi Steve ~ got your name & website info from Erika at Urban Grace Interiors' website. Thought you might have some good insight on what washer/dryer combo (front-load) is the best for the money. Have looked a little at the Whirlpools & Bosch. Any recommendations or suggestions?! Thanks! (email is ccain@elmore.rr.com if that's easier than commenting)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urban Grace...Great website...Kind of like the digital version of that store Anthropologie...only way better

    First, front load laundry is a great purchase with almost any brand. I would choose Frigidaire for price.

    For bigger machines, Maytag and Whirlpool are identical, but I would choose Bosch as a good buy as long as it is within $200 of the Whirlpool/Maytag unit

    If you are stacking or placing them on a second floor, consider the Whirlpool/Maytag/Frigidaire units. They have suspension systems to reduce vibration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:50 PM

    Indeed, Urban Grace is wonderful!

    I haven't checked out any Frigidaires but will do so...as for larger machines, I typically wash tons of blue jeans (my husband works outside usually around mud/dirt/grease etc!) so would it benefit me to look at some of the larger machines? I think I need something 'heavy duty' but I am also used to the small top-load Kenmore that I have just about worn out!

    I don't plan to stack them or place them on a second floor (at least not in my current house).

    Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete