Honest opinions about how to buy Appliances and Lighting.

Friday, November 02, 2007

Water, Water...Nowhere

I read USA Today. Cover story is about Georgia running out of water. Of course, New Mexico has almost run out of water as well. In the appliance industry there is a glaring statistic:


The average front loading machine is about 3.5 to 4.0 cubic feet and uses 10 to 15 gallons of wter per wash.

The average top loading machine is about 2.5 cubic foot and uses 42 gallons of water per wash. (I am rating the non Estar top loaders with the usable cubic footage without the agitator)


In other words, a front load machine can use 1/3 the water and can be 60% larger. There will be a day when we will be using our waste water to flush our toilets or water our lawns(as they do in Atlanta). Considering a front load machine seems easy. Even easier when you factor in the 50% reduction in electricity.

Next week we will be covering new appliance products and a few other topics. We also handle requests at the Yale Blog. Running into a building or renovation issue, then perhaps we can help.


Have a Nice Weekend....



Steve

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:14 PM

    I have an idea for a future topic. How about covering the Henkel/Miele laundry products line that you sell. Specifically, can you cover if these products are worth a premium over regular laundry detergent and fabric softener and what the differences are. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea. We started selling Miele/Henkel 6 years ago, because customers could not find HE detergent for front loading machines.

    I first tested Persil detergent at that time and really am impressed with the performance. The Europeans have been using this type of detergent for years, and they have tons of different varieties: Gel, powder, color specific and hypo allergetic

    Fast forward 6 years and most American manufacturers have their own HE detergent. I like ours and will cover it, but there are now options as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question about the Persil Megapearls. I bought a box today at Yale and am wondering how much to use in my LG front loader. Also, its not completely dissolving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Megapearls. There is a learning curve with HE detergents in general. The natural reaction is to use a scoop of this every wash, which leaves a ton of undissolved detergent in the dispenser

    However, it is concentrated so you can use about 1/5 of a scoop at the most

    Try this next wash. Your clothes will be clean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,

    I'm an idiot - my Persil wasn't disolving because I was putting it in the liquid detergent cup. I'm only using 1 1/2 tablespoons and my clothes look great!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete